A journal of food, love and memories to my darling daughter
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet and break apart with a fork. Cook the ground beef until brown and a deep crust begins to form.
- Continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl and drain off all but two tablespoons fat.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then toss the vegetables and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Return the beef back to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth and cornstarch.
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, beef broth/cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir.
- Simmer the sloppy joe mixture for 5-8 minutes or until beginning to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the provolone cheese.
- Served on hamburger buns.