Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min Bake: 15 min Total: 25 min Cal: 257
For The Chicken:
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning*
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (for cooking)
For The Topping:
- 4 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion finely chopped (or 3 cloves finely chopped garlic)
- 4 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- ½ cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
Balsamic Glaze: (you can use store bought, or this recipe)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (OPTIONAL)
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic and salt. Heat oil in a grill pan or skillet, and sear chicken breasts over medium-high heat until browned on both sides and cooked through (about 6 minutes each side). Remove from pan; set aside and allow to rest.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onion, basil, olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt. Top each chicken breast with the tomato mixture and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately with balsamic glaze (optional).
For The Balsamic Glaze:
- (If making from scratch, prepare while chicken is cooking.) Combine sugar (if using) and vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes or until mixture has thickened and reduced to a glaze. (If not using sugar, allow to reduce for 12-15 minutes on low heat).
*If you don’t have Italian seasoning, use Italian dried herbs. Or combine 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and 1 teaspoon dried parsley together.