SERVES 6 PREP TIME:15 minutes COOKING TIME:1 hour to 3 hours Cal: 287
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato purée
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Diced red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and the 1 teaspoon of salt, and stir to combine. Stir in the tomato purée, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce and onions over the chicken. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 2 to 3 hours on the LOW setting or 1 to 2 hours on the HIGH setting.
- Turn off the slow cooker and transfer chicken to a clean cutting board. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce before serving in tortillas with toppings if desired.