Prep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Total: 1 hr Servings: 4-6
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups low sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1 12 ounce beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for serving
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper
CHILI SPICED CHEX PARTY MIX
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups mixed Rice and Corn Chex
- kosher salt
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add the shallot, jalapeño, poblano pepper, and bell pepper, and cook 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Add the broth, beer, paprika, thyme, and a large pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- To make the Chex Party Mix.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- On a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, combine the Chex, butter, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 20 minutes, toss and bake another 20 minutes, or until the Chex is toasted.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the chili spiced Chex Party Mix and fresh thyme. Enjoy