Prep: 5 min Cook: 35 min Total: 40 min Servings: 8 Cal: 226
- 3 slices bacon , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 4 cups corn , fresh or frozen (about 5 ears)
- 1 large russet or yukon gold potato , peeled and chopped
- 1-2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce , finely diced*
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles , undrained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half , cream, or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup water
- Add bacon pieces to a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced onion and celery and stir, cooking 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Add corn. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add chopped potato, green chilies and chipotle chilies.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and half & half. Add salt and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Combine cornmeal with water. Pour into the chowder.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat.
- If chowder needs more thickening, add another tablespoon of cornmeal mixed with a little water. Cook for another few minutes.
- Serve in a yummy homemade bread bowl!
*Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce can be found at your local grocery store in the Mexican food aisle. Spoon out one or two of the whole chilies (depending on spice preference), dice them and add to the soup.