A journal of food, love and memories to my darling daughter
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa soaked for 15 minutes or rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup salsa or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1# hamburger (or ground chicken/turkey)
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper (and jalapeno if adding) and saute, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and add in hamburger
- Heat hamburger until browned.
- Add cooked veggies back into skillet.
- Add the broth, salsa, chili powder and sea salt and bring to a full boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes before adding the black beans and chopped sweet potato.
- Replace the cover and continue cooking until sweet potato and quinoa are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir well and taste for flavor. Add more sea salt and or salsa or lime juice to taste.