For the Dough
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
For the Meat Filling
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of water
Start With the Patty Crust
- Combine the flour, turmeric, cumin and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, mix in the shortening. Crumble up the shortening with your fingers so that it resembles a coarse ground flour.
- Slowly add the cold water a bit at a time while mixing. Once the mixture comes together and forms a ball, turn it out on a floured surface.
- Once the dough is smooth in texture, wrap it in plastic, and place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
For the Beef Mixture
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a medium-high frying pan. Add the onions and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the ground beef, allspice, cumin, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the beef has browned and is no longer pink, add the thyme and the garlic and mix well, still on medium-high heat.
- Add the ketchup and mix well. Add the water, beef stock and the flour and continue to mix until the liquid has slightly thickened. Take it off heat and set it aside.
Making the Patties – Preheat the Oven to 350F
- Separate the dough in two. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a sheet about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a circular shape (something like a large cookie cutter or the top to a pickle jar), cut out 4-5 circles depending on how big the sheet is.
- Mix the egg in a bowl. Paint some of the egg on the edges of the circled piece of dough. Fill the inside with about ¼ cup of the beef mixture. Seal the edges using your fingers. Using a fork, press down the edges on both sides. Repeat this with the remaining dough and beef filling.
- Lay out the patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Add some water to the egg, and brush the tops of the patties. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.