A journal of food, love and memories to my darling daughter
- 2 cups tomatoes, in addition to their juices (for example, a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter, the bay leaves and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.
- Discard the onion and bay leaves before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for a pound of pasta.