Serves: 4-6 Prep: 10 min Cook: 3 hrs Total: 3 hr 10 min
2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 whole chicken, neck and giblets removed
Freshly ground black pepper
- Grease a large slow cooker with cooking spray. Roll a few small balls of aluminum foil and place in slow cooker, creating a rack for the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, and thyme.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub brown sugar mixture all over chicken, then place in slow cooker, breast side up.
- Cook on high for 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours, until the juices between the leg and the thigh run clear or a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. To crisp up the skin, transfer chicken to a large baking sheet and broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.