Prep :20 min Cook :10 min Assembly5 min Total Time:35 min Serving :6 Cal:205
- 3 cups (1-inch) pieces of Italian or country bread, with crusts and all
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 ounces Parmesan-Reggiano, (about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano)
- 6 anchovy fillets packet in oil, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from about 1 1/2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, (or other neutral oil)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, outside leaves trimmed and/or discarded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmesan-Reggiano
TO MAKE THE CROUTONS:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Tear your bread until you get 3 cups of torn bread pieces. Add them to a baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, set over medium heat, add the butter, olive oil, garlic and a few pinches of salt. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately pour over the torn bread and toss until the bread has been coated in the butter mixture. Transfer to the oven to bake until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- I don’t like my croutons too too hard. If you like them crunchy, you’re more than welcome to bake them an extra 5 minutes longer.
TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a food processor, add the Parmesan-Reggiano. Pulse until it’s grated and ground up. Then, add the anchovy fillets and garlic cloves; and blend. Next, pour in the egg yolks, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. With the food processor running, pour in the neutral oil and olive oil. Open up the food processor and scrape down the sides. Add about 5 turns of freshly ground pepper and blend one last time. Give it a taste and mix in salt to taste. I only needed a pinch. This will vary depending on your anchovies.
- At this point, you can store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Prep your romaine lettuce. Trim off the root end. Discard any outer leaves that are witty and browned. And then using a knife, slice the romaine into 2-inch strips. Transfer it to a colander and wash. And then dry.
- Place romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top, along with the reserved bread crumbs, Parmesan-Reggiano and toss until evenly coated. You really want to make sure the leaves are thoroughly coated in dressing.
- Serve immediately.