Prep Time20 min Cook Time8 h rs Servings6 Calories456kcal
- 3½ pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 whole dried shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (crumbled and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- chopped up whatever vegetables I had in refrigerator (celery, carrots, butternut squash, etc.)
- Trim all visible fat from the meat and place it in a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion, water, mushrooms, ketchup, wine, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and garlic. Pour the mixture over the meat. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker, wrap it in foil and keep warm. Turn slow cooker control to HIGH. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water; stir it into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Slice the beef, and serve the sauce with the meat.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of Worcestershire sauce, Dijon and ketchup that are known to be GF.