Yield: 12 rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water, 110 degrees F
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 large yolk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Oreo cookies
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped Oreo cookies
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- finely chopped Oreo cookies, to garnish
- DOUGH: Sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to allow mixture to bubble and activate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yeast mixture, warm milk, remaining sugar, egg, and egg yolk. Whisk salt into flour. Add 2 cups of flour to mixing bowl. Use the dough hook attachment to mix together. Add another 1 cup of flour. Continue to knead on low speed while adding softened butter 1 Tbsp at a time. Add remaining cup of flour and knead until dough is smooth and cleans the sides of the bowl. Add chopped cookies and mix until evenly distributed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about an hour until dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down risen dough. Transfer to a clean working surface. Roll dough into a 20 x 14- inch rectangle.
- FILLING: Spread 1/3 cup softened butter over dough. Sprinkle sugar and chopped cookies on top. Gently press until dough.
- Starting at the long side, roll dough into a log. Slice log into 12 equal parts. Place rolls into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan (quarter sheet pan size) . Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30-45 minutes at room temperature to allow roll to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and bake rolls for 30-33 minutes until golden brown on top and the internal temperature of the rolls hit 185 degrees F. Allow rolls to rest for 5 minutes to slightly cool before frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls. Top with chopped Oreo cookies.
REHEATING NOTES: To keep the rolls moist, place a glass of water in the microwave along with the bread roll. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until bread is warm. The water prevents the bread from drying out.