- 3 cups (360 grams) all-purpose flour, plus for dusting the work surface
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) vegetable shortening, frozen, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Whisk for thirty seconds to combine and evenly distribute the leavening. Add the shortening and butter and toss to coat the fat a bit with the flour. Using your fingertips, gently work the fats into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal with some pea-size chunks of fat.
In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg, and add this to the flour mixture. Stir together with a wooden spoon. Then, gently work through the mixture with your hands to separate any wet patches and bring the dough together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, sprinkle with the minced thyme and knead gently until it just holds together. Pat it into a rough 1/2-inch-tall disk and cut it into 7 biscuits using a 3-inch round biscuit cutter. (Bake off the scraps and use for croutons in the Broccoli Salad recipe.)