- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 pound 72% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 14 oz bag sweetened shredded coconut, about 4 1/3 cups
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 oz dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9″x13″ baking pan with parchment paper. Butter sides of pan. Set aside.
- Fill a pot with about 1-inch of water. Bring to a simmer. Place a large heat-proof bowl over simmer water. Add butter and chopped chocolate in bowl. Slowly melt chocolate and butter until smooth. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate. Stir as needed to ensure the chocolate melts evenly. Remove from pot and let sit at room temperature as you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Combine eggs, brown sugar, and salt. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to mix ingredients together. Mix for 4-5 minutes until mixture is thick and pale in color. Mix until ribbon stage is achieved.
- Add melted chocolate to egg mixture. Fold to combine. Add flour and gently fold until there are no longer any dry streaks of flour.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Spread into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top of the brownies crack. No need to test with a toothpick. The brownies will be wet and fudge-like until it cools. Let brownies cool in pan while you prepare toppings.
- Coconut Topping: In a large bowl, fold together coconut and condensed milk. Spread coconut mixture over slightly cooled brownies.
- Almond Topping: Sprinkle sliced almonds over coconut. Gently press to ensure almonds stick to coconut. Drizzle melted chocolate over almonds. Place brownies in the fridge to set up. Chill for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Slice chilled brownies to desired portions. Let chilled brownies sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving. Store brownies in an airtight container. To extend life of brownies, keep stored in the fridge.
It is best to cut brownies while they are cold to ensure clean slices. Use a sharp knife and wipe knife clean after each slice.