yield: 5 SERVINGS prep time: 15 MIN cook time: 14 MIN total time: 29 MIN
- 5 medium-sized carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (coins) – about 3 cups cut carrots
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Flaky sea salt for serving, optional
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a medium-sized skillet.
- When oil is glistening and hot, add carrots and saute for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Reduce heat to medium, carefully add 1/4 cup of water (watch out for steam!), cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove cover and if water has not evaporated, continue to cook, stirring frequently, until water evaporates. Carrots should be fork tender at this point, but if they are not, continue to cook, stirring frequently, until they are tender.
- Add bourbon and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, brown sugar, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cook until butter is melted and sugar no longer looks grainy (1-2 minutes).
- Serve immediately, topped with flaky sea salt if desired.