Oven: 350 degrees Time: 25 min
- 6 tablespoon butter divided
- 5 medium yellow squash sliced ¼-inch thick (about 7 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers crumbled
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and onion. Season lightly with the salt and pepper. Cook until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid for a faster cooking time.
- Remove from the heat and drain the squash and onion well using a colander, for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise, milk, and cheeses.
- Lightly stir the squash mixture and wet mixture together. Scrape into a 12-inch buttered Dutch oven or 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the crumbled crackers followed by the Parmesan cheese. Evenly pour the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter (melted) on top.
- Bake until the casserole sets up and is lightly browned on top. For inside baking: 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tip: if you using Ritz crackers for the topping, use about 2 sleeves.