Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Time: 30 minutes Yield: 6 servings
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast (about 2)
salt and pepper
1 C cold water
3 Tb rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tb canola oil
3 Tb honey
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1 Tb hoisin sauce
1/2 C cold water + 1 heaping Tb cornstarch
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 Tb minced garlic
1 1/2 C shredded carrots
1 (10 ounce) package snow peas
1 C salted cashews
1. Into a hot skillet place 2 Tb olive oil. Cut 2 chicken breasts into small chunks and add them to the hot pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Stir the chicken occasionally and allow it to cook and get a nice brown sear on the outside. Should take about 10 minutes. When it’s done cooking carefully place the chicken on a plate and set it aside.
3.While the chicken is cooking assemble the sauce by placing 1 C cold water, 3 Tb rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp chicken bullion, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 Tb canola oil, 3 Tb honey, 1/8 tsp garlic salt and 1 Tb hoisin sauce into a small sauce pan. You can find Hoisin sauce in the Asian Food aisle at your local grocery store.
Bring the sauce to a simmer, while stirring occasionally.
4. Mix 1/2 C cold water and 1 heaping Tb of cornstarch together in a small bowl. Pour it into the simmering sauce and stir well. Allow it to come to a simmer again and cook for about 2 minutes, while you stir it occasionally. It should thicken up nicely for you. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 tsp sesame oil. Set the sauce aside.
5.Grab your veggies. I have been loving these shredded carrots lately. They are so convenient to keep on hand to toss into salads, soups or stir frys.
6. To the pan (the same one you cooked the chicken in) add 1 Tb olive oil and 2 Tb minced garlic. Toss in 1 1/2 C shredded carrots and 1 (10 ounce) package of snow peas. Sprinkle it all with salt and pepper. Allow the veggies to cook over medium-high heat (closer to “high” than to “medium”), stirring occasionally. They should be crisp tender after only about 5 minutes.
7. Add the chicken to the pan and pour the sauce over everything. Give it a nice stir to combine.
8.Grab 1 C salted cashews and toss them into the pan.
9.Give everything a nice stir.
10.Serve immediately over brown or white rice.