Prep Time20 mins Cook Time25 mins Total Time45 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- green onion thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup, along with the salt and pepper. Cook, whisking frequently, until the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the turkey (or chicken), Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with green onions and serve.