- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28- ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 large egg
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grated low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound Mostaccioli
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the meat sauce: Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions until they are softened, 3 – 4 minutes. Add in the ground sausage and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Drain any excess grease and add in the marinara sauce. Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer while you complete the next steps.
- Make the cheese mixture: In a large bowl combine the egg, ricotta, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, mozzarella, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Make the breadcrumb topping: In a small skillet melt the butter on medium heat. Continue cooking and stirring the butter until it becomes a golden brown. Remove the skillet from the heat and add in the Panko, garlic powder, and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain thoroughly. Add the pasta to the meat sauce and stir to combine evenly.
- Assemble: Add half of the pasta mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture evenly on top. Spread the remaining pasta on top. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs evenly on top.
- Bake: Cover the pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 – 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.