- 1 pound penne or rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 24 ounces marinara sauce or pasta sauce
- 14 ½ ounces petite diced tomatoes drained
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in salted water al dente according to the package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning and cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Add cream, tomatoes and marinara sauce. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Place pasta in a 9×13 pan. Add sauce and toss to combine.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, cool 5 minutes and top with fresh herbs.
Cook pasta to al dente (firm) as it will cook a bit more in the oven.
If you prefer a creamier sauce, add ⅓ cup extra cream.
Cooked meat such as rotisserie chicken, ham, or ground sausage can be added. Add any cheese you have on hand on top of this dish.
Do not overbake or the dish can become dry.