A journal of food, love and memories to my darling daughter
- 1 pound bacon chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 large Russet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 6 small red potatoes diced
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onion
- Cook bacon in a large 5-6 quart pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until crisped.
- Remove bacon and place onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to hot oil, stirring and cooking until fork tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, stirring until well combined, letting cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and half of the bacon, stirring to combine.
- Add diced potatoes, salt, pepper and garlic salt, cream cheese, stirring to combine.
- Let potatoes cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- With the back of a fork, mash most of the potatoes and vegetables, this creates a thick, creamy soup base.
- Stir in cream and let warm on low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer until ready to serve.
- Serve each cup of soup topped with shredded cheese, remaining bacon crumbles, and chives or green onion.