YIELD Makes 1 1/2 cups ACTIVE 25 minutes TOTAL 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 4–5 minutes. Add beans, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened and warmed through, 4–5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Pulse bean mixture, vinegar, oregano, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 cup water in a food processor, adding water by the tablespoonful if needed, until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NOTE: Bean Dip can be made three (3) days ahead. Store in airtight container and chill